By Aurora Ibarra
Eating healthy doesn’t get any easier, cheaper or tastier than this easy lentil salad. This lentil salad is your ultimate power lunch! Protein-packed lentils, sweet roasted red bell peppers, spicy shallots, fresh basil leaves, and a lemony dressing make this a healthy and fulfilling meal.
Feel free to throw any of your favorite vegetables — this salad is anything but bland and helps you keep those New Year’s resolutions! ¡Buen provecho!
Yields 1 serving
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 6 tablespoons dried green lentils
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons Tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper to taste
- Put the water, lentils, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, or until lentils are fully cooked through- alternatively you can used canned lentils, just drain and rinse them before using. Drain the lentils and place in a big mixing bowl.
- Throw in the rest of the ingredients and mix until combined.