Rustic Flat Bread Pizza
Pizza night just got a lot better (and healthier)! This flat bread pizza is hearty, full of vegetables and delicious. It takes pizza night at your house to another level. I made mine vegetarian but of course top with whatever you like. This is a great guiltless way to enjoy a household favorite while pleasing everyone.
This recipe serves 4-5 people, and you can cut the bread into individual pieces so everyone can make their own version with whatever toppings they like. Bonus — since it’s flat bread, you don’t need to knead the dough or let it rise — instant gratification and no need for greasy takeout!
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
For the flatbread (this makes enough to serve 4-5 people, or two big flatbreads):
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sunflower or canola oil
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Toppings (enough for one big flatbread, or two people– if you plan on doing the whole flatbread recipe, double the toppings)
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 small can of artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, thinly sliced (either fresh or canned)
- 10 black olives, roughly chopped
- feta cheese
- some green leaves (I had baby spinach on hand)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a big bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour the water and oil, mix until dough starts to form. Knead for a couple minutes, and divide into two pieces (if it is for only two people, reserve the second ball of dough for a later meal).
- Roll out each ball into a thin rectangular rustic shape. Place over parchment paper on a baking sheet, and bake for 5 minutes. Take the brad out of the oven, sprinkle with the Parmesan and rest of the toppings. Drizzle with about a tablespoon of olive oil, sprinkle with feta cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Bake an additional 4 minutes, until edges start to turn golden brown. Serve warm with a big green salad!