Who didn’t grow up drinking horchata? And, while most of us only know the powdered stuff or the already made sweet and creamy drink, it’s extremely easy to make and much healthier. When you make it at home you control the sweetness and experiment with different flavors. Here I’ve used strawberries since they are in season right now, but you can use any fruit you want. I also love this recipe in the summer since it’s made with water, not milk which I prefer when it’s unbearably hot!
Cook Time: 10 mins.
Preparation Time: 10 mins.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
- 6 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Cook the rice according to the package and let cool. Put the rice in a blender.
- Add the strawberries to the blender and puree the contents until smooth.
- Strain the mixture into a pitcher, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Add the cold water to the pitcher and stir everything. Taste and add honey if it needs sweetening.
Flaming Tortillas is dedicated to bringing the best of Latin cuisine, culture, and food news to your kitchen table. It features what’s in season right now, favorite recipes from all over Latin America and fresh cultural Latin events around the country. Follow us on Twitter and get the latest news on Facebook.